Sunday, September 27, 2015

Palance of Deception by @HelenaFairfax #romanticsuspense


Book Title Palace of Deception: a Romantic Suspense Novella

Author Name Helena Fairfax

Genre Contemporary romantic suspense

Book Blurb When Princess Charlotte of Montverrier disappears on the eve of her Investiture, Lizzie Smith takes on the acting role of her life as her stand-in.

But in the run up to the ceremony, all is not what it seems in the Palace of Montverrier. What danger lies outside the palace walls? As Lizzie learns her role, her only confidant is Léon, her quiet bodyguard…but what secrets is he keeping from her?

Romance and suspense in a mysterious Mediterranean city.

Excerpt

 

Léon’s eyes darkened, shimmering wide and midnight black. The moon bathed his face, highlighting the planes and angles, and leaving his mouth a firm, carved line. He leaned towards me, reaching out a hand to settle my cardigan more securely around my shoulders. His fingers brushed my neck, and I shivered.

‘You’re not used to the evening air,’ he said, his voice a murmur. ‘Perhaps we should go back inside. Daria would never forgive me if you caught a chill.’

‘No,’ I said in a firm whisper. ‘If I go back inside that room again, it will kill me. Please, Léon.’

He nodded. ‘Very well. Just a little while longer.’

And so we sat there in silence, the two of us, and this escape into the night, sitting side by side with Léon, listening to the faint heartbeat of the city and the murmur of the sea – this brief escape was one of the happiest moments of my entire life.

I brought my knees up and rested my hands on top of them, leaning back against the stone wall of the balcony. I don’t know how long we sat there. Neither of us felt the need to speak. Occasionally Léon shifted position, stretching his legs out in front of him. I heard his steady breathing, and the flap of a bird’s wings overhead, and time seemed to stand still. Perhaps I even began to drift into sleep. I had the impression we were riding in the basket of a balloon in the night sky, far above the world, away from all tension and stress. For the first time since I’d arrived in Montverrier, my mind was completely relaxed.

And then a new noise drifted upwards from the city. A staccato splutter, repeated three or four times. Léon shot bolt upright.

‘Oh, fireworks,’ I said. ‘How lovely. Such a shame we can’t stand and watch – ’

He hauled me to my feet in a flash, pressing his hand on my back so that I remained crouching. ‘Get inside.’

There was the distant whir of an engine approaching. Léon bundled me over the sill of the balcony and pushed me into the sitting-room, closing the thick plate door after him. Then he dragged me by the hand and forced me down on one of the sofas, with its back to the windows. I could see nothing except the silk cushions.

‘Stay there.’ His eyes were wide and fixed on the sky outside.

The engine’s rumble grew louder, and I recognised the clatter of a helicopter’s blades. My heart began to race, thumping in hard, tiny beats against my rib-cage.

Buy Links Amazon US http://www.amazon.com/Palace-Deception-Romantic-Suspense-Novella-ebook/dp/B0119UDOIY/ 


Amazon CA http://www.amazon.ca/Palace-Deception-Romantic-Suspense-Novella-ebook/dp/B0119UDOIY/ and other international Amazon stores.

Palace of Deception will be available in other formats from November.



Author Biography

 photo Helena Fairfax photo_zps2segcun0.jpg
Helena Fairfax was born in Uganda and came to England as a child. She's grown used to the cold now, and these days she lives in an old Victorian mill town in Yorkshire, in the north of England. After many years working in factories and dark, satanic mills, Helena has turned to writing full-time. Her first novel, The Silk Romance, was a contender for the Romantic Novelists' Association New Writers' Scheme Award and a runner-up in the Global Ebook Awards. Since then, Helena has written lots more stories, and she was recently a finalist in the Exeter Novel Prize.

In her spare time, Helena walks the Yorkshire moors every day with her rescue dog, finding this romantic landscape the perfect place to dream up her heroes and her happy endings.

Social Media Links




Pinterest https://uk.pinterest.com/helenafairfax/

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7082986.Helena_Fairfax



Thanks Helena for sharing,


Tina

 

No comments: