Friday, February 21, 2014

Writer's Tip - Keep Writing

Writing is not like riding a bicycle, it takes regular practice to keep the juices following.

I'm not saying you have to write every day, but after taking several weeks off, I personally find it is hard to get back into the rhythm of writing.




That's not to say, you have to write for hours at a time. An hour or half an hour a day might be more than ample time to prime the pump. Just workout a schedule that works for you.



My biggest distraction is the internet. To help with this problem, I log off before I begin to write. If I need to look something up while I'm working, I put a note in my manuscript and keep working.



Also, change things up occasionally. I just reworked my schedule so that I write first before I visit any of my social sites. This keeps my number of words for the day up. Otherwise, I get distracted and end up not writing as much.



Just find what works with you and try to stick to it. That's all any of us can do.

Tina

4 comments:

Daryl Devoré said...

so true. After finishing last novel and doing all that promo I took a break and now getting back to the next novel and it being summer - just not in the mood to write.

Brenda said...

I'm with ya, Daryl. Since I finished my last novel, I just can't get up the energy to start another.

Tina Gayle said...

Understand Daryl, sometime getting back to writing can be a chore. Why not try writing just a short scene? It can spark the joy you get from writing.

Tina Gayle said...

Oh, Brenda looking at the task of cranking out a full length book can be discouraging. Why not write me a description of your favorite flower. Might spark your created juices and I'll share on my blog. Are you game?