Sunday, May 10, 2015

Preparing for an Empty Nest by #MFRWauthor Tina Gayle

In my book "CFO's Affair" Sylvia Donovan is suffering because her daughter has gone off to college and now Sylvia is on her own.


While this is not Sylvia's only problem, as parents, we should all prepare for the day that we have an empty nest.

Everyone reacts differently to the event. My husband didn't suffer half as much as I did, but he didn't spend as much time with them as I did either.

As a stay at home mom, I planned my day around their schedule. Now, it varies according to my husband schedule.

However, I believe it could have been much worse if I hadn't planned ahead.

Years before my children even thought about leaving, I started preparing.

So what did I do?

First, I looked around and pick something that interested me. I enjoyed reading romance for years and decided since I had some time in my day to give writing a shot.

While they were away at school, I learned the craft and worked on developing my skill.

As they entered high school, I published and worked on writing more during my free time.

Once they left for college, I found I needed to work on promoting my books which required I learn more about social media sites.

Now, I spend most of my day in front of my computer. Writing, promoting on line, keeping my different sites updated. I sometimes complain that I don’t have enough hours in the day.

Do I have time for my kids?

Always, but I’m working to build my career. Just like they are working to build theirs.

What can you do to prepare for an empty nest?

  • Ask yourself a few questions
    • What are your interest?
    • Do you want to make money?
    • Social sites do they satisfy your need to stay connected?
  • Spend time while you’re children are still at home developing what you want to do later.
    • take classes
    • meet new people in your chosen field. – gardening club, golf group, etc.
  • Let your kids know you have a life too and that it’s not only about them.
    • Your devotion to your goal can help teach them to follow their own dreams.

As you can see it can take years to plan or a few short months. At any point you can prepare for the future and map out a new course of action. Don’t let the empty nest get you down. Look around and find something that can become the hallmark of defining who you are.
 
If interested, you can read the 1st chapter of my books on my website. www.tinagayle.net
Have a good one,
 
Tina

 

 

 

No comments: